Saturday, September 27, 2014

Hoisted

My apologies, gentle readers, for the long silences on this blog recently. It seems I have been hoisted on my own petard: finishing vol. 1 of the silence book has plunged me into silence. In addition, the stress of all the years of working on it has now caught up with me and I find I am quite exhausted.

To add to the fun, I have just had a cataract operation. I'm only a few days post-op and the eye hasn't settled down yet, so writing is difficult due to the now radical difference in the way the two eyes see: it is like having a sparkling clean window on one side, and one covered with nicotine scum on the other. I hadn't realised that the cataract was blocking almost all the blue spectrum. The return of blue light has enhanced a sense wonder as I look out on a world newly made. Now I can't wait to get the other eye done, not only for return of the light but also because the two ways of seeing fight against each other and make me feel a bit seasick!

Otherwise, life proceeds as normal. Autumn is here and so are the orb-weaving spiders. We have two magnificent webs by the front door, strung between the brick wall of the next-door house, and the hedge, and the garden is full of webs, too. The pumpkins are safely gathered in as frost has threatened a couple of nights during the past week. The days are warm, though, with slanting gold light that filters through the fog in the morning and gently bathes the landscape in the afternoon. Seasons of mist and mellow fruitfulness...

Autumnal blessings on you all... And thank you for your patience.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to worry. This pause (after long exertion) is as necessary as it is natural and proper.

Orb spiders are everywhere here as well and only the now heavy morning dew makes it safe to walk the paths in the woods.

Mike

11:47 pm, September 27, 2014  
Blogger William R. MacKaye said...

I had the same experience after my first cataract operation--seeing blue again. I don't know why opthalmologists don't tell us about this beforehand. But all in all it was a delightful surprise. Even more surprising, at age 80 I can read again without glasses except when my eyes are tired.

6:23 am, October 01, 2014  
Anonymous Amy said...

I hope you recover soon from your op! I just received my copy of your latest book, so I am hoping to indulge in that this evening. Are you by any chance doing any public speaking or workshops in the near future? Blessings to you!

5:37 pm, November 06, 2014  
Blogger Maggie Ross said...

Amy, I don't have anything scheduled soon except to have a week of holiday and then come back for the other eye to be done. Then in January -March I am in retreat. Thanks for asking.

5:44 pm, November 06, 2014  

Post a Comment

<< Home