Monday, December 21, 2015

Velvet Shoes


Velvet Shoes

Let us walk in the white snow 
          In a soundless space; 
With footsteps quiet and slow, 
          At a tranquil pace, 
          Under veils of white lace.

I shall go shod in silk, 
          And you in wool, 
White as white cow's milk, 
          More beautiful 
          Than the breast of a gull.

We shall walk through the still town 
          In a windless peace; 
We shall step upon white down, 
          Upon silver fleece, 
          Upon softer than these.

We shall walk in velvet shoes: 
          Wherever we go 
Silence will fall like dews 
          On white silence below. 
          We shall walk in the snow. 

Elinor Wylie



May every blessing and joy be yours this Christmas

and throughout the New Year.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And to you, too, Maggie.
Theo

10:07 pm, December 21, 2015  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello, my name is Leah and I recently read "Silence: A User's Guide" and discovered your blog. I have also been reading The Cloud of Unknowing. Both the Cloud (the version I have has modernized the spelling only, and kept the archaic words intact) and your book gave me a profound sense of acknowledgment and recognition. I would very much like to correspond with you in some fashion regarding my own solitary-but-not-solitary way of life, and how to remain in affinity with the church. I am 60 years old, in the US, and a member of a small Episcopal mission church in Salt Lake City. ('Mission' in the sense that we are too small to afford our own rector. We used to have our own priest, but lost membership due to attrition.) I've been pursuing some form of vowed religious life since my 30's, and have recently defaulted to a dispersed community called the Lindisfarne Community. Anyway, I don't want to take up more time on this comment, other than to say I now follow your blog with great interest and attention. If you are open to the idea of correspondence please let me know. Thank you, and I am looking forward to reading more of your work.
Leah.

2:14 pm, December 22, 2015  
Blogger Maggie Ross said...

Dear Leah,

Thank you for your kind words. If you will send me a comment marked DO NOT PUBLISH along with your email address, we can be in touch.

Blessings,

Maggie

2:25 pm, December 22, 2015  
Anonymous Ian Duncan said...

And best wishes to you, Maggie

8:03 pm, December 30, 2015  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A heavenly poem. It touches a different place each time I read it. Thank you for sharing it.

6:52 pm, January 03, 2016  
Blogger Maggie Ross said...

Personal message for Michael:

Your kind comment is too personal to post. If you will send another comment headed DO NOT POST and include your email, I will try to respond before I leave on my three-month retreat. Blessings.

9:21 am, January 05, 2016  

Post a Comment

<< Home