Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Intercession

There are as many ways of intercession as there are moments of life. Intercession can become deep and habitual, hidden from our selves. What matters is the intention that opens the space and the stillness. Even something as simple as refusing to anaesthetise the gnawing pain in the pit of your soul that is a resonance of the pain of the human condition is a form of habitual intercession. To bear this pain into the silence is to bring it into the open place of God's infinite mercy. It is in our very wounds that we find the solitude and openness of our re-creation and our being. We learn to find God's new life, hope, possibility, and joy by going to the heart of this pain. This is the priestly task of our baptism.

From: Writing the Icon of the Heart: In Silence Beholding to be published in May, 2011.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Maggie, You are such a thin place for me. Quite literally, moments before going to your website, I was reflecting on the role of intercessionary prayer for others. Can you speak to that? Whether you know this or not, you've accompanied me through my recent seven years in the wilderness. I'm still very fragile as I explore my new relationship with God. Through your blog, you remain a lifeline for me. Grace and peace, Barb R., Cincinnati OH

9:03 pm, June 29, 2010  
Blogger Maggie Ross said...

Dear Barb,

Thank you for your kind comments. I need support too! If you'll send me your email (I won't publish it) I'll send you the chapter on intercession from the new book. Blessings.

9:47 pm, June 29, 2010  
Anonymous AM said...

Barb,
There's also an available free article from Weavings written by our very blogger/guide. Just type "The Space of Prayer" on the Google search bar and you will be directed to this excellent article on intercessory prayer in pdf. Likewise, i can't thank Maggie enough for such generosity.

10:59 am, July 06, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home